Carl Sagan on "God" and "gods"

Alex Alex

Carl Sagan on "God" and "gods"

http://hinessight.blogs.com/church_of_the_churchless/2010/11/instant-enlightenment-guaranteed-just-read-this.html

Carl Sagan points out that if we ask how the cosmos came to be, and someone claims God created it, the next question is "And what created God?" If the answer is that God has always existed, then why not save a step and simply say, "The cosmos always has existed"?

Alex's comment:  Ingenious!
Alex Alex

Carl Sagan: Consider Again That Pale Blue Dot (YouTube) 一段非常優雅、深邃的智者之言

This post was updated on .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_naQhynOg0

Quoted in a Chinese atheist's blog:
又一段非常優雅、深邃的智者之言 - Carl Sagan
大黃傻貓 GARFIELD 的貓竇
http://hkatheist.blogspot.com/2010/11/carl-sagan_18.html

Alex's comment:  Carl Sagan's spirit echoes with Religious Naturalism.  Religious Naturalism is true humility.  Let's meditate with Carl Sagan's inspiring words.
Alex Alex

Saganism 薩根教

Saganism
http://www.facebook.com/TheUniverseofCarl

A post:
http://www.facebook.com/TheUniverseofCarl/posts/420216208039773

I don’t think that the sacred necessarily has to do with the supernatural. In fact, the fact that we call the supernatural supernatural rather than sub-natural reveals our contempt for nature, reveals our lack of a sense of how sacred life is. What is science telling us? It is telling us that we live as part of thirteen and a half billion year continuity, that as Carl said so magnificently that we are star stuff…that every gene, bone, molecule of our physical reality, of ourselves, were formed in the hearts of distance stars. Science is revealing the oneness of all things, of life. It tells us in countless different ways. So for me, the natural is the thing we should hold highest. That’s one thing I learned from Carl. That nature is far more magnificent than anything we can imagine. If we had a spiritual approach to nature, which was grounded in nature, as opposed to the conventional religions, which are in so many ways not only not grounded in nature, but are contemptuous of what is natural, that might be why we are unable to awaken ourselves from the stupor we are in, in terms of the way we treat each other and the way we treat this planet.

-Ann Druyan, from "Carl Sagan's Search for God"
http://www.nyas.org/Publications/Media/PodcastDetail.aspx?cid=5194a7ca-9a8f-4f43-bc2c-fd36af676d9d

Alex's comment:  I guess I am a Saganist!  I think Sagan's is Religious Naturalism.
我譯 Saganism 為「薩根教」。我想我是一名薩根教徒!薩根的應該是「宗教自然主義」。
Alex Alex

Every one of us is precious

Alex Alex

Carl Sagan: A religion based on magnificence of the Universe as revealed by science

"A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later such a religion will emerge."

---Carl Sagan

Alex's comment: As if he were predicting the emergence of Religious Naturalism.