Ethics of Religious Naturalism

Alex Alex

Ethics of Religious Naturalism

This post was updated on .
Ethics of Religious Naturalism
http://religiousnaturalism.info/Religious_Naturalism_Morality.html

(update May 2017: religiousnaturalism.info is now defunct)

Morality is the quality of being in accord with social or individual standards of right or good behavior. It is a system of rules and perceptions of right and wrong conduct. Those regulations or precepts or what we call ethics or virtues.

Aristotle stated "The moral virtues, then, are produced in us neither by nature nor against nature. Nature, indeed, prepares in us the ground for their reception, but their complete formation is the product of habit."  Moralities thus are not natural but the products of societies, human and some animals. The word morality is based on the Latin mor  - a manner or custom.

However a facet of morality can be said to come from our biological evolution. Evolution produced a Homo Sapien brain that was complex enough both for symbolic contemplation and for participating in uniquely human forms of social life. During the process of early childhood development, highly localized modifications of our innate tendencies may emerge. Moreover, since we are hardwired for flexibility, moral rules will vary from culture to culture (or subcultures).

Added to these evolutionary and socio-developmental dynamics, we each individually have the ability to formulate our own moral principles and modify them, or even reject them altogether. It is up to us living in communities to think through and determine what is right, and where necessary, make laws to implement what is right, all with high but not absolute regard for individual differences

Moralities have evolved naturally over the generations rather than having been directed or revealed by a higher authority. Most human communities (about 80%) over the ages have arrived at a consensus as to what they consider virtues. Where they mostly differ in their religious interpretations. Religious Naturalism and neo-Pantheism can be a way to finally reconcile differences and make a World Morality.

The following ethics are proposed as a starting point to doing this:

Striving to survive
Working to have wellbeing
Practicing correct thinking
Believing in sacred things
Endeavoring to live a virtuous life
Practicing devotion to these things
Having a naturalistic outlook on the world
Reveling in the beauty and spirituality found in Nature
Standing in awe of the immensity and complexity of the Universe
Especially valuing the common moral decencies and ethics excellences
Considering mankind an interconnected, inseparable and key part of Nature on this planet
Supporting the perpetual evolution of the spirit, wisdom and body of mankind
Explaining the existence of mankind as part of the evolution of the Earth
Promoting rational compassionate stewardship for Nature's domain
Being an honest and fair trader in human relationships
Seeking internal peace and righteousness
Walking the Tao to enlightenment
Accepting truth and new knowledge
Approving of joyful living
Worshiping no entity
Advocating the separation of church and state
Keeping good company and listen to astute sages
Supporting only benevolent and compassionate enterprises
Helping the deserving and not hurt them or the innocent
Balancing the rights of the individual with the good to mankind
Judging the merits of my deeds by the totality of bad or good they do
Doing unto others as life events and rationality would have me do
Holding all persons as equals and will not violate their rights as individuals
Championing efforts making mankind happier, healthier and more complete
Treasuring family, life, liberty, privacy, creativity and peace
Nurturing one’s self and recognize  egoism as proper
Especially honoring my mother for giving me life
Defending the rightness of the above actions
Doing these things as best one can

This a long list but all are things worthy of any decent and virtuous human being.  We also concur with the statements on the Ethical Movement sponsored by the American Ethical Society .

Golden Rule

Most Religious Naturalists try to adhere to the same golden rule that is common in some form or another to most of the ethical systems of human civilization. To that can be added - Be a noble, worthy human being of good will and integrity: exuberant, wise, courageous, virtuous and healthy. Doing so will go a long way in making any person good and righteous.