Rabbi Jonathan Sacks: The Silence of the 'I': Humility as an Unfashionable Virtue

Alex Alex

Rabbi Jonathan Sacks: The Silence of the 'I': Humility as an Unfashionable Virtue

This post was updated on .
The Silence of the 'I': Humility as an Unfashionable Virtue
Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks
abc.net.au/religion
http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2018/06/14/4856961.htm

//This is a shame. Humility - true humility - is one of the most expansive and life-enhancing of all virtues. It does not mean undervaluing yourself. It means valuing other people. It signals a certain openness to life's grandeur and the willingness to be surprised, uplifted, by goodness wherever one finds it.//

//Time and again, when conducting a funeral or visiting mourners, I discover that the deceased had led a life of generosity and kindness unknown to even close relatives. I came to the conclusion - one I never dreamed of before I was given this window into private worlds - that the vast majority of saintly or generous acts are done quietly with no desire for public recognition. That is humility, and what a glorious revelation it is of the human spirit.

Humility, then, is more than just a virtue: it is a form of perception, a language in which the "I" is silent so that I can hear the "Thou" - the unspoken call beneath human speech, the Divine whisper within all that moves, the voice of otherness that calls me to redeem its loneliness with the touch of love. Humility is what opens us to the world.//