The Evangelical Scion Who Stopped Believing

Alex Alex

The Evangelical Scion Who Stopped Believing

The Evangelical Scion Who Stopped Believing
The New York Times Magazine
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-evangelical-scion-who-stopped-believing/ar-BBxJWVX

//Though Marty, his wife, had long entertained doubts about Christianity, Campolo had always done his job and, in his words, “brought her back.” But the truth was, he had been breaking up with God for a long time. “When I took off on the bicycle that day,” Campolo says, “the supernaturalism in my faith was dialed so far down you could barely notice it.” It had been years since he made God or Jesus or the resurrection the centerpiece of the frequent fellowship dinners he and Marty hosted. Talk instead was always about love and friendship. In 2004, he performed a wedding for two close lesbian friends, and in 2006, he began teaching that everybody could be saved, that nobody would go to hell. To evangelicals, he already sounded more like a Unitarian Universalist than like any of them.//