The Great Story

Alex Alex

The Great Story

This post was updated on .
http://www.thegreatstory.org

THE GREAT STORY (also known as the Universe Story, Epic of Evolution, or Evolutionary Epic) is humanity's common creation story. It is the 14 billion year science-based sacred story of cosmic genesis, from the formation of the galaxies and the origin of Earth life, to the development of self-reflective consciousness and human technology, to the emergence of comprehensive compassion and tools to assist humanity in being a blessing to the larger body of life.

THE GREAT STORY is a way of telling the history of everyone and everything that honors and embraces all religious traditions and creation stories. It is the sacred narrative of an evolving Universe of emergent complexity and breathtaking creativity and cooperation — a story that offers each of us the opportunity to find meaning and purpose in our lives and our time in history.

Harvard biologist Edward O. Wilson believes The Great Story is a tale of SUPREME RELIGIOUS GRANDEUR:
"The evolutionary epic is probably the best myth we will ever have." —On Human Nature, 1978.

Philosopher Loyal Rue regards The Great Story as UNIVERSAL:
"The new naturalism does a superior job of telling everybody's story. It is more durable than metaphysical perspectives precisely because it rejects claims to finality, inviting upon itself scrutiny and falsification. And it gives us what is to date the most reliable and satisfying account of where came from, what our nature is, and how we should live." —Everybody's Story, 2000.

In sum, then, we call the evolutionary epic "The GREAT Story" simply because, for us as well as for many others, it is a deeply inspiring narrative that embraces and uplifts all sacred stories, makes sense of all tragic stories, bridges science and religion, and opens the future to hope.
Alex Alex

Loyal Rue "Religious Naturalism" videos

This post was updated on .
Loyal Rue "Religious Naturalism" videos
http://thegreatstory.org/loyal-rue-videos.html
Alex Alex

Everybody's Story: Wising Up to the Epic of Evolution (book by Loyal Rue)

a 1999 book, which seems good

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0791443922

In a compelling read for anyone interested in where we came from and where we're going, Everybody's Story offers an exhilarating tour of natural history that illuminates the evolution of matter, life, and consciousness. As old myths, religious stories, and other shared narratives of humankind are increasingly viewed as intellectually implausible and morally irrelevant, they become less likely to fulfill their original purpose-to give people answers and provide a sense of stability and peace in daily life. Loyal Rue restores that imbalance with a new story based on fact. Rue, author of a New York Times Notable Book of 1994, By the Grace of Guile: The Role of Deception in Natural History in Human Affairs, now provides an evolutionary tour recounting our shared "epic of evolution."
Alex Alex

Nature Is Enough (new book by Loyal Rue)

Nature Is Enough
Religious Naturalism and the Meaning of Life
Loyal Rue
State University of New York Press
Release Date: November 2011
Hardcover - 175 pages
Price: $70.00

http://www.sunypress.edu/p-5259-nature-is-enough.aspx
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1438437994

Alex's comment: 《人生的意義與宗教自然主義》(書名暫譯)。看來是頗重要的著作。尋道會可考慮翻譯。
Alex Alex

Loyal Rue: Taking Nature to Heart (4R, 2015)

Taking Nature to Heart
Loyal D Rue
March-April 2015
4R volume 28 number 2