Untitled Poet/Medium: Philosophy’s Long Contemplated Illusion

Alex Alex

Untitled Poet/Medium: Philosophy’s Long Contemplated Illusion

This post was updated on .
Philosophy’s Long Contemplated Illusion
Untitled Poet
Medium

"In recent efforts over the past century, neuroscience has determined that a complex and intricate network of neurons is in fact determined exactly by environment and genetics as philosophers had predicted in the past."

"The deliberate acts that we associate with free will and the conscious experience happen only after the fact that things have already been set in motion."

"In a very deep sense, criminals and negatively perceived people in society are not actually responsible for their actions in life."

"Just remember to not mistake determinism with the idea of fatalism, as these are extremely different, and our decisions in life really matter.  The fatalist makes the mistake of comparing the lack of freedom to a lack of control or of influence over future outcomes.  In actuality, our efforts do make a difference, in a meaningful way, and we must preserve them for the sake of the ethical efforts of our society."