Raw Faith the film

Alex Alex

Raw Faith the film

This post was updated on .
http://rawfaith.com

A documentary of a UU minister.
Alex Alex

Marilyn Sewell's next calling

This post was updated on .
Marilyn Sewell's next calling
Retired minister talks about her calling, her life, and the documentary film about her.
By Julia Angley
Fall 2011
http://www.uuworld.org/life/articles/186241.shtml

The Rev. Dr. Marilyn Sewell is the subject of a feature-length documentary film, Raw Faith, a two-year study of the now-retired minister from Portland, Oregon. The filmmakers initially intended to follow Sewell during her transition into retirement from her position as senior minister of First Unitarian Church of Portland, where she served for seventeen years. But the film took on a new direction when, in the middle of filming, she unexpectedly fell in love.

The film, named the NPT (Nashville Public Television) Human Spirit Award winner at the 2010 Nashville Film Festival, hit New York independent theaters for its debut on June 24. For screening dates and more information, visit http://rawfaith.com

Sewell spoke with UU World intern Julia Angley on June 7 about the film, before its theatrical release.
Alex Alex

Marilyn Sewell: Saying Goodbye to Tolerance

Saying Goodbye to Tolerance
Marilyn Sewell
10/19/2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marilyn-sewell/saying-goodbye-to-tolerance_b_1976607.html

I am a Unitarian Universalist, and we consider ourselves the most tolerant of faiths. In the 19th century Universalist churches were known for opening their doors to dissenters of all varieties, and our modern-day UU churches have continued to provide space for those who cannot find a welcome mat elsewhere: atheists and agnostics, religious humanists, political dissidents. We UUs see ourselves as "broadminded," and so tend to say things like, "There is truth in every religious tradition. We respect all religious beliefs." In one of our services, you might hear a reading from the Bible, but just as likely from the Quran, Black Elk, Lao-tse or Starhawk. However, in spite of our long history and tradition of tolerance, I am finding myself increasingly intolerant -- specifically, of the theology and practice of many evangelical Christians.

All religious traditions are not equal. Some beliefs foster freedom, growth and a deepening of compassion. Others are rigid and exclusive, warning of eternal punishment for those who don't believe in the one true path to salvation, as they see it, or for those who love someone of the same sex. For the personal support the church of my childhood gave me, I remain thankful. I'm sure many conservative evangelicals today feel similar gratitude for their community. But for the damage that conservative Christianity does to people and for its perpetuation of prejudice and hate, I must reject this tradition. I believe those who teach it and preach it are doing great harm, and I in no way wish to be an ally.