The Singularity is near: when humans transcend biology (book by Ray Kurzweil)

Alex Alex

The Singularity is near: when humans transcend biology (book by Ray Kurzweil)

This post was updated on .
The Singularity is near: when humans transcend biology
book by Ray Kurzweil (Penguin, 2005)
http://www.singularity.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

Technological singularity refers to a prediction in Futurology that technological progress will become extremely fast, and consequently will make the future unpredictable and qualitatively different from today. It will soon be possible to build a machine that is fundamentally more intelligent than humans. If such a machine were built, then the machine itself could build a more intelligent machine. If the machine is more intelligent than humans, then presumably it would be better at building a more intelligent machine. The more intelligent machine would then be better at building an even more intelligent machine. This process might continue exponentially, with ever more intelligent machines making bigger increments to the intelligence of the next machine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Read it here:
http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=88U6hdUi6D0C&lpg=PP1&ots=v_jWoFryII&dq=The%20Singularity&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Alex's comment: A minor side point of note is that when I read the Prologue, p1, "Unitarian church" popped up before my eyes.  The author described his childhood spiritual upbringing in a Unitarian church.  I was brought back to UU so unexpectedly, again.

The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence
book by Ray Kurzweil (Penguin, 2000)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Spiritual_Machines
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140282025

Alex's comment: This book predicts that Artificial Intelligence (AI) will soon exceeds biological humans.  That is, "computer humans" will emerge.  What follows must be "computer spirituality"!
2045年,當電腦超越人腦,超乎想象的屬靈電腦將出現!
反過來說,「屬靈」沒有甚麼神奇的地方,只是人類大腦神經結構的機械輸出而已。
Alex Alex

Singularity

So what is the Singularity?

Within a quarter century, nonbiological intelligence will match the range and subtlety of human intelligence. It will then soar past it because of the continuing acceleration of information-based technologies, as well as the ability of machines to instantly share their knowledge. Intelligent nanorobots will be deeply integrated in our bodies, our brains, and our environment, overcoming pollution and poverty, providing vastly extended longevity, full-immersion virtual reality incorporating all of the senses (like “The Matrix”), “experience beaming” (like “Being John Malkovich”), and vastly enhanced human intelligence. The result will be an intimate merger between the technology-creating species and the technological evolutionary process it spawned.

And that’s the Singularity?

No, that’s just the precursor. Nonbiological intelligence will have access to its own design and will be able to improve itself in an increasingly rapid redesign cycle. We’ll get to a point where technical progress will be so fast that unenhanced human intelligence will be unable to follow it. That will mark the Singularity.

When will that occur?

I set the date for the Singularity—representing a profound and disruptive transformation in human capability—as 2045. The nonbiological intelligence created in that year will be one billion times more powerful than all human intelligence today.

Why is this called the Singularity?

The term “Singularity” in my book is comparable to the use of this term by the physics community. Just as we find it hard to see beyond the event horizon of a black hole, we also find it difficult to see beyond the event horizon of the historical Singularity. How can we, with our limited biological brains, imagine what our future civilization, with its intelligence multiplied trillions-fold, be capable of thinking and doing? Nevertheless, just as we can draw conclusions about the nature of black holes through our conceptual thinking, despite never having actually been inside one, our thinking today is powerful enough to have meaningful insights into the implications of the Singularity. That’s what I’ve tried to do in this book.

Okay, let’s break this down. It seems a key part of your thesis is that we will be able to capture the intelligence of our brains in a machine.

Indeed.

So how are we going to achieve that?

We can break this down further into hardware and software requirements. In the book, I show how we need about 10 quadrillion (10^16) calculations per second (cps) to provide a functional equivalent to all the regions of the brain. Some estimates are lower than this by a factor of 100. Supercomputers are already at 100 trillion (10^14) cps, and will hit 10^16 cps around the end of this decade. Several supercomputers with 1 quadrillion cps are already on the drawing board, with two Japanese efforts targeting 10 quadrillion cps around the end of the decade. By 2020, 10 quadrillion cps will be available for around $1,000. Achieving the hardware requirement was controversial when my last book on this topic, The Age of Spiritual Machines, came out in 1999, but is now pretty much of a mainstream view among informed observers. Now the controversy is focused on the algorithms.

And how will we recreate the algorithms of human intelligence?

To understand the principles of human intelligence we need to reverse-engineer the human brain. Here, progress is far greater than most people realize. The spatial and temporal (time) resolution of brain scanning is also progressing at an exponential rate, roughly doubling each year, like most everything else having to do with information. Just recently, scanning tools can see individual interneuronal connections, and watch them fire in real time. Already, we have mathematical models and simulations of a couple dozen regions of the brain, including the cerebellum, which comprises more than half the neurons in the brain. IBM is now creating a simulation of about 10,000 cortical neurons, including tens of millions of connections. The first version will simulate the electrical activity, and a future version will also simulate the relevant chemical activity. By the mid 2020s, it’s conservative to conclude that we will have effective models for all of the brain.

So at that point we’ll just copy a human brain into a supercomputer?

I would rather put it this way: At that point, we’ll have a full understanding of the methods of the human brain. One benefit will be a deep understanding of ourselves, but the key implication is that it will expand the toolkit of techniques we can apply to create artificial intelligence. We will then be able to create nonbiological systems that match human intelligence in the ways that humans are now superior, for example, our pattern-recognition abilities. These superintelligent computers will be able to do things we are not able to do, such as share knowledge and skills at electronic speeds.

By 2030, a thousand dollars of computation will be about a thousand times more powerful than a human brain. Keep in mind also that computers will not be organized as discrete objects as they are today. There will be a web of computing deeply integrated into the environment, our bodies and brains.

Where does God fit into the Singularity?

Although the different religious traditions have somewhat different conceptions of God, the common thread is that God represents unlimited—infinite—levels of intelligence, knowledge, creativity, beauty, and love. As systems evolve—through biology and technology—we find that they become more complex, more intelligent and more knowledgeable. They become more intricate and more beautiful, more capable of higher emotions such as love. So they grow exponentially in intelligence, knowledge, creativity, beauty, and love, all of the qualities people ascribe to God without limit. Although evolution does not reach a literally infinite level of these attributes, it does accelerate towards ever greater levels, so we can view evolution as a spiritual process, moving ever closer to this ideal. The Singularity will represent an explosion of these higher values of complexity.

So are you trying to play God?

Actually, I’m trying to play a human. I’m trying to do what humans do well, which is solve problems.

But will we still be human after all these changes?

That depends on how you define human. Some observers define human based on our limitations. I prefer to define us as the species that seeks—and succeeds—in going beyond our limitations.

Many observers point out how science has thrown us off our pedestal, showing us that we’re not as central as we thought, that the stars don’t circle around the Earth, that we’re not descended from the Gods but rather from monkeys, and before that earthworms.

All of that is true, but it turns out that we are central after all. Our ability to create models—virtual realities—in our brains, combined with our modest-looking thumbs, are enabling us to expand our horizons without limit.

http://www.singularity.com/qanda.html
The Singularity is Near http://www.singularity.com

Sinularity University http://singularityu.org
Singularity Institute http://singinst.org

超人类主义(transhumanism)
http://zonghe.17xie.com/book/10515292/

Merely Human? That’s So Yesterday
By ASHLEE VANCE
June 11, 2010
New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/business/13sing.html?ref=ashlee_vance

The Coming Technological Singularity: How to Survive in the Post-Human Era
1993 by Vernor Vinge
Department of Mathematical Sciences
San Diego State University
http://mindstalk.net/vinge/vinge-sing.html
Abstract: Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be ended.

Transcendent Human (movie)
http://transcendentman.com
Alex Alex

Re: The Singularity is near: when humans transcend biology (book by Ray Kurzweil)

Smarter Than You Think
What Is I.B.M.’s Watson?
June 14, 2010
NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/magazine/20Computer-t.html

From IRAS email list:
Did people notice in today's NY Times magazine that the cover story is about how IBM's fancy computer is being taught how to play Jeopardy?  This Artificial Intelligence computer is able to answer some quite tricky questions.
The online movie at that URL is fun to watch.
Its parallel processing "associative memory" approach has similarities how humans make associations. ...
Alex Alex

Will Robots See?

Will Robots See?
by Stanley A. Klein
To be published as a chapter in a book titled: "Spatial Vision in Humans and Robots" by Cambridge University Press.

http://cornea.berkeley.edu/pubs/75.pdf
Alex Alex

Who Is Afraid Of The Singularity? (npr blog "13.7: cosmos & culture")

Who Is Afraid Of The Singularity?
March 23, 2011
by MARCELO GLEISER
npr blog "13.7: cosmos & culture"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/03/23/134762846/who-is-afraid-of-the-singularity
Alex Alex

A Test for Consciousness (Scientific American)

A Test for Consciousness
How will we know when we've built a sentient computer? By making it solve a simple puzzle
By Christof Koch and Giulio Tononi  | May 25, 2011
Scientific American
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-test-for-consciousness

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?: To judge that this image is incorrect, a machine would need to be conscious of many things about the world (unless programmed for just such a photograph).  Image: Geof Kern
Alex Alex

電腦演化一大步 IBM晶片學人腦

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/%E9%9B%BB%E8%85%A6%E6%BC%94%E5%8C%96-%E5%A4%A7%E6%AD%A5-ibm%E6%99%B6%E7%89%87%E5%AD%B8%E4%BA%BA%E8%85%A6-043504042.html

...這項名為SyNAPSE(Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics)研究計畫的負責人莫德哈(Dharmendra Modha)表示:「這些晶片是電腦自計算機演化至學習系統的又一大步。」IBM表示,「認知電腦」就像人腦一樣,能夠「自經驗學習、找出關聯、建立假說,並且能記取結果、從中學習。」...

...IBM表示,認知計算晶片用演算法和矽電路系統,複製人腦的神經突觸、神經元和軸突;具有記憶整合(如神經突觸)、計算(如神經元)和通訊(如軸突)的功能。
Alex Alex

Will Life Extension Mean the End of Religion?

Will Life Extension Mean the End of Religion?
Adam Lee  |  30 May 2012  |  big think
Alex Alex

Intelligent Robots Will Overtake Humans by 2100

Intelligent Robots Will Overtake Humans by 2100, Experts Say
http://www.livescience.com/29379-intelligent-robots-will-overtake-humans.html
Alex Alex

俄富豪擬人腦「上載」永恆不死

Alex Alex

維基:技術奇點

技術奇異點
維基百科
Alex Alex

A look into the mind-bending Google Glass of 2029

A look into the mind-bending Google Glass of 2029
by Dan Farber
August 15, 2013

How far-fetched is it, really, to go from today's Google Glass to nanobots communicating between your brain and a Google cloud that is indistinguishable from a human?

...Ray Kurzweil, Google's director of engineering, calls Glass a "solid first step" along the road to computers that rival and then exceed human intelligence. Kurzweil, who is also an accomplished inventor and futurist, predicts that by 2029 computers will match human intelligence, and nanobots inhabiting our brains will create immersive virtual reality environments from within our nervous systems. ...
Alex Alex

Hugo de Garis: Singularity Skepticism (13min YouTube)

Singularity Skepticism
Hugo de Garis
(13 minutes)
http://youtu.be/zl66OdpO6u8
Alex Alex

霍金:人工智慧可能導致人類滅亡

霍金:人工智慧可能導致人類滅亡
http://share.inside.com.tw/posts/4682
Alex Alex

Edge conversation: Death Is Optional

Death Is Optional
A Conversation: Yuval Noah Harari, Daniel Kahneman
http://edge.org/conversation/yuval_noah_harari-daniel_kahneman-death-is-optional

YUVAL NOAH HARARI, Lecturer, Department of History, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, is the author of Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

DANIEL KAHNEMAN is the recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economics, 2002 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, 2013. He is the Eugene Higgins Professor of Psychology Emeritus, Princeton, and author of Thinking Fast and Slow

"Once you really solve a problem like direct brain-computer interface... when brains and computers can interact directly, that's it, that's the end of history, that's the end of biology as we know it. Nobody has a clue what will happen once you solve this. If life can break out of the organic realm into the vastness of the inorganic realm, you cannot even begin to imagine what the consequences will be, because your imagination at present is organic. So if there is a point of Singularity, by definition, we have no way of even starting to imagine what's happening beyond that."
Alex Alex

A Scientist Says the Singularity Will Happen by 2031

A Scientist Says the Singularity Will Happen by 2031
by Tim Newcomb
Popular Mechanics

popularmechanics.com/technology/a45780855