Universalist Herald

Alex Alex

Universalist Herald

This post was updated on .
http://www.universalist-herald.net

"the oldest continuously published liberal religious periodical in North America"

old Universalist cross

LOVE IS THE DOCTRINE OF UNIVERSALISM:
THE QUEST FOR TRUTH IS ITS SACRAMENT:
AND SERVICE IS ITS PRAYER;
TO DWELL TOGETHER IN PEACE:
TO SEEK KNOWLEDGE IN FREEDOM:
TO SERVE HUMANITY IN FELLOWSHIP:
TO THE END THAT
ALL SOULS SHALL GROW
INTO HARMONY WITH THE DIVINE
THUS DO WE COVENANT WITH EACH
OTHER, AND WITH GOD.

For subscriptions and renewals mail check or money order to:
Douglas Shaheen
21 Cheverus Road
Dorchester, Massachusetts 02124

Subscription Rate:
$14 for 1 year, 2 years $27, 3 years $36 to any domestic address,
or $20 international,
by the Universalist Herald Publishing Company
Alex Alex

A story against Providence (Mark Twain)

This post was updated on .
Adapted from Mark Twain "Little Bessie Would Assist Providence," appeared in Universalist Herald Winter 2010 vol.160 no.1 p.8:

Little Bessie was nearly three years old.  She was a good child, and not shallow, not frivolous, but meditative and thoughtful, and much given to thinking out the reasons of things and trying to make them harmonize with results.

One day she said: "Mama, why is there so much pain and sorrow and suffering?  What is it all for?"

"It is for our good, my child.  In His wisdom and mercy the Lord sends us these afflictions to discipline us and make us better."

"...the wasps catch spiders and cram them down into their nests in the ground - alive, mama! - and there they live and suffer days and days and days, and the hungry little wasps chewing their legs and gnawing into their bellies all the time, to make them good and religious and praise God for His infinite mercies."

Alex's comment:  In explaining suffferings, Naturalism is more robust than "God."
Alex Alex

NDErs desire a universal religious faith

Ken Vincent, in "Religious Experience and Universalism," Universalist Herald Winter 2010 vol.160 no.1 p.20, quoted near-death researcher social psychologist Ken Ring's book "Heading Toward Omega": "Indeed, the strongest evidence of the NDErs' universalistically spiritual orientation and in many ways the culmination of the qualities already discussed is their belief in the underlying unity of all religions and their desire for a universal religious faith that will transcend the historical divisiveness of the world's great religions."

(NEDr = near-death experiencer)
Alex Alex

LGBT, Spring 2011

The Spring 2011 issue has an eye-catching cover.  Its editorial describes very well what this issue is about, so good that I don't need to scan the cover story on page 6.

Alex Alex

The Philosophical Theology of The Matrix, Spring 2011

A very interesting article, so I have scanned whole of it.  Just one article, hope they won't after me for the copyright issue, as my scan might attract more readers to the journal.

pp22-23 UH_2011_pp22-23.jpg
pp24-25 UH_2011_pp24-25.jpg
p26 UH_2011_p26.jpg
Alex Alex

A Universalist reads Bahai, Summer 2012

Reading Baha'u'llah in Indiana
Derek Parker, Summer 2012, Universalist Herald

2012summer_p24.jpg
2012summer_p25.jpg

Alex's comment:  A Universalist finds Baha'u'llah's The Hidden Words to be a compelling read.  This short article itself is a nice read too.
Alex Alex

Do you believe in Angels? Well, I do! (Winter 2013)

Alex's comment:  A sweet little story.  So, go, and be an angel of your fellow neighbours.
Alex Alex

Relational Theology (Spring 2013)

"I have conversed with many combat veterans who told me that they rejected church and God as a result of what they saw during war.  The Sunday school God they had been taught to believe no longer made any sense to them."

"Relational theology has become much more meaningful to me since beginning my work as a VA chaplain.  Theological constructs and religious beliefs are secondary to relationships.  I've been asked by several veterans to officiate at their funerals or memorial services.  In every case, my theology or the dictates of my faith were not important.  Most of the veterans had no knowledge of Unitarian Universalism or my ordination as a Unitarian Universalist minister.  We might have never discussed religion.  What was important was that I had established a relationship with that veteran.  The veteran felt I cared about him or her."

"Establishing caring relationships is paramount for successful ministries and healthy congregations.  Everything else is less important!  Nothing is more important than our relationships with one another.  Nothing!"

Alex's comment:  Relational theology may be the way out amidst atheism and theisms.

Alex Alex

Why UUism drew me in? (Spring 2013)

"As I look back to the personal reasons I believe Unitarian Universalism drew me in - its strengths - two come to mind.  First, Unitarian Universalism was one of the rare religious movements in which I could change my mind and still remain a member.  And I have changed my beliefs over the years.  ...Second, Unitarian Universalism never asked me to leave my mind at the door of the sanctuary.  I was encouraged to think for myself."

Alex Alex

Our Liberal Lineages (Winter 2014)

Our Liberal Lineages
Rev Peter Tufts Richardson
Universalist Herald, Winter 2014

2014Winter_p13.jpg

2014Winter_p14.jpg
Alex Alex

A Brief History of Universalist/UU Logos (Summer 2014)

Alex Alex

Universalism for the Future

Universalism: A Message of Hope for the Present and Future
Rev Floyd Vernon Chandler, editor emeritus of the Universalist Herald, retired US Army Chaplain, ordainded UU minister
Universalist Herald, Issue 3, 2015, Volume 168, pp6-7

Universalism_for_Future_2015.jpg